If there’s one thing that makes Halloween really memorable for kids it’s all the treats they get. new balance 997 on sale Most of the time that comes in the form of bags upon bags of sweets the neighbours give them if they’re brave enough to knock on their door in the dead of night. Sometimes the haul they get at the end of the night can be just ridiculous, and worse yet, it’s usually all gone within the week.
If you’re hosting a Halloween party or simply want to give your kids some treats that are a little more imaginative than your average lolly scramble, then here’s a few recipes to share with your little terrors. They still pack plenty of sweetness, but instead of processed sugary candy, it comes in the form of delicious honey.
Honey Caramel Apples
People have been enjoying toffee apples for over one hundred years, and as treats go they’re not bad at all. Of course when they started out they were traditionally made with a whole bunch of sugar and corn syrup, but at least kids were getting a piece of fruit when they eventually got through that tooth-destroying later.
Well thanks to Nourished Kitchen there is now a wonderful little recipe for “candy” apples that is much healthier for teeth, and much more delicious for tummies. Not to mention they look way cooler.
- 6 medium apples (or substitute 8 small apples)
- 1 cup Davidson’s Raw and Unheated Organic Honey
- 3/4 cup heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- a dash of natural red food dye (optional)
- 1/2 cup crushed pecans (or easily crushable nut of your choice)
- 6 spooky sticks or wooden dowels
- Whisk the Davidson’s honey, cream, butter and salt in a heavy-bottomed saucepan over medium-high heat until it begins to bubble, then immediately reduce the heat to medium. Chaussure Adidas Stir in food coloring, adjusting the volume to match the intensity of color you like.
- Continue to whisk the caramel frequently to prevent scorching and to prevent it from bubbling up and out of of your saucepan. Continue to cook until the caramel reaches a temperature of 125C (260 F) – about 25 minutes. Kanken No.2 Baratas The caramel should be a rich brown or red-brown if you also used food coloring; the bubbles should be small and should uniformly cover the surface of the pan and the caramel should be thickened.
- Prepare an ice bath. Nike Air Max 2017 Kopen Then pour the hot caramel into a mixing bowl and place the bowl in the ice bath, taking care not to splash water into the hot caramel. Stir the caramel until it is uniformly cooled and it begins to thicken just a bit.
- Air Jordan 1 Homme
- Plunge a wooden stick or dowel into the core of your apples and roll them, one by one, in the caramel until uniformly coated. New Balance 1300 męskie Roll them in chopped pecans and place them on some baking paper to cool completely before serving.
If you’re hosting a Halloween party full of kids then getting everything ready is always a scarily busy time. You want something that’s simple to throw together, something you can chuck in the fridge and forget about until you need it. This recipe is perfect for you; it’s easy, requires no baking, and can be stored for as long as you need.
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 1/2 cup Davidson’s Organic Creamed Clover Honey
- 1/2 cup peanut butter
- 1-1/2 cups rice crispies cereal
- 1/2 cup raisins (or dried fruit of your choice)
- 1/2 cup Halloween sprinkles (or any kind!)
- Place a sheet of waxed paper on a cookie sheet so cookies won’t stick.
- Combine the powdered sugar, Davidson’s honey and peanut butter in a medium bowl and stir until mixed well, then stir in the cereal and raisins.
- Using your hands, shape the mixture into approximately one-inch round balls. Roll balls in your Halloween sprinkles and place on the cookie sheet and refrigerate for one hour.
- After an hour or so the cookies should feel firm when touched. Serve right away or place in tightly covered container and store in the refrigerator. This recipe will make about 30 crispies.
via Dutch Gold Honey
Halloween Honey Popcorn
Everyone loves popcorn. zonnebril ray ban heren Everyone. If you don’t, then you need to seek some kind of counselling.
For the rest of us, there are many different varieties of popcorn, but you just can’t beat the delicious buttery sweetness that comes from beautiful honey-baked popcorn. It’s possibly the most indulgent of the three recipes, but if you’re getting full at this point, popcorn is the perfect sharing snack.
- 1 brown paper bag
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- 1 tablespoon of olive oil
- 1/3 cup of popping corn
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup of Davidson’s Raw and Unheated Organic Honey
- 1/4 cup of whipping cream
- 1 inch-thick block of butter
- Pre-heat your oven to 150C (300F). Combine the salt, olive oil, and popping corn in a bowl, mixing thoroughly until the corn is evenly coated. Then pour the bowl into your brown paper bag.
- Nike Air Max Thea Heren wit
Fold over the top of the bag and stick it in the microwave on high for 1m 30s.
- Mix the Davidson’s honey with the vanilla, and pour into a saucepan with the milk and butter. Heat the saucepan on a medium to high heat until it starts to bubble and turn a golden brown colour (about 120C).
- Once the mixture is boiling, take the saucepan off the hob and immediately pour out evenly over your popcorn (either lay your popcorn on a flat surface and pour evenly, and have it in a bowl and be prepared to shake it around as you pour – so long as it’s evenly covered).
- Lay out some baking paper onto an oven tray and pour the popcorn evenly over the tray.
To celebrate Halloween and get in that spooky mood, we’ll be sharing a couple of posts this week about all kinds of scary goings on and how they relate to bees and honey. This week, it’s Halloween costume time!
Halloween isn’t hugely popular here in New Zealand, which is a shame. Many see it as more of an American tradition, and sure enough they can go absolutely nuts for it. Minnesota Timberwolves For me, it’s the versatility of the holiday that I find so appealing; you can celebrate it by carving up a pumpkin, watching some scary movies, or simply scoring free sweets off the neighbours. Another massively popular thing to do is dress up and go to a Halloween costume party.
We’ll get to some of the more bizarre bee-related costumes you can try out while scaring the night away, but first I thought I’d share some amazing t-shirt designs I’ve found recently, all to do with what is now my favourite new word, Zombees!
|A cute design by panda3y3 after their daughter came up with the idea. Nike Air Max 2016 Dames grijs Perfect for your own little zombee this Halloween.|
|A pretty slick looking design from LucyDynamite warning us of the impending invasion of the zombees!|
|A nice use of letters and images in the rebus style to create a pretty snazzy little tee from bungeecow.|
|This one’s a personal favourite, the gormless look on the zombee’s face coupled with the wonderfully gruesome exposed brains make this design from Ely Prosser a winner.|
|Cute and horrible all at the same time. The purple and green make this zombee look truly undead. New Balance 993 damskie Nice work from designsalive.|
|Last but not least a great design that evokes those wonderfully bad B-movie horrors from the 50s. Zombee Madness!!! indeed from sadmachine.|
If you’ve ever been to a Halloween fancy dress party, then you’ve probably seen someone wearing a bee costume. Hey, if it’s good enough for Beyonce then it’s good enough for us common folk. Usually you’ll get two types of people who wear bee costumes; either the “crazay” guy who dresses like a fat bee and bounces into you all night, or the girl trying to look sexy in her black and yellow striped stockings and short black and yellow corset/miniskirt combination. Both are pretty boring, so I thought we’d have a look at some more “imaginative” bee costumes we bedeck ourselves or others out in. First off…
As we all know, the best thing about being a parent is dressing your kids in the most ludicrous clothes you can find to make them look utterly ridiculous, then sitting back and laughing at them as they look dumb-founded as to why you’re laughing. There are only a few short years you can do this for before they’re old enough to realise they’re being made fools of for your amusement.
I’ve noticed that the problem with many of the bee costumes you see is that our silly old human legs get in the way. Asics Gel Lyte 5 damskie A bee costume can look great but the effect is somewhat ruined by two big legs sticking out the bottom of it and making it look like a bizarre humanoid bee on stilts. Thankfully this is where babies come in. chaussures de foot umbro Since they don’t really need their legs for the first year or so, you’ve only got one Halloween with which to dress them up as the most authentic bee a human can muster. May we present some offerings…
This little guy is cute, and he’s totally rocking this bee costume, with a little flower just to bump up the cuteness or maybe make some kind of statement about the importance pollination. Either way he’s a little too cute, so much so that he looks more cute than he does ridiculous. That’ll never do, time to move on.
That’s more like it. Ill-fitting clothes are always the first port of call when making your child look ridiculous, and the fact that he looks like he’s actually being swallowed by the bee costume rather than wearing it really adds to the overall effect.
Ok so they’ve reneged on covering up the legs, which should rule them out of this list, but it was just too ridiculous not to include. I mean come on, who in their right mind would dress their kid up like this? I like to make my kid look silly as much as the next parent, but this is just cruel.
Some Halloween costumes have a ridiculous amount of thought and energy put into them, and those that are pulled off are always greatly appreciated. The creativity some people show with an original idea brilliantly executed can be quite staggering. Then you get these guys, who make you stop and stare just as much, but for very different reasons…
This guy has never been familiar with the word subtle. Gone is the attempt at looking like both a bee and the letter B, and in its place are lazy fake muscles. Not to be outdone by our previous effort’s machete, this bee will slaughter us with a chainsaw because WHY NOT!
I don’t know what it is – maybe it’s the dead lifeless eyes and raised eyebrows staring into our souls. Perhaps it’s the creepy frozen smile. Or maybe it’s the bizarre and mutant duck feet that make this costume utter nightmare fuel. If you saw this freakish bee-duck apparition standing around smiling at everyone at a Halloween Party, don’t tell me you wouldn’t be freaked out.
That’s right, people even go so far as getting their animals in on the action. New Balance 574 Pas Cher It makes a weird kind of sense really. You can only dress your kids in a ridiculous bee get-up for so long, but with animals you can do it every Halloween, or every day if you’re completely insane. May we present some of the greatest attempts from around the interwebs…
I think this is a dog, maybe? It could just as easily be a baby Wookie, but whatever it is, it’s looking mighty suspicious of being forced to look like a bee.
If you’re going to dress a cat up as anything, let alone as a bee, then you can’t expect any other look on its face than this.
This little guy looks like he has already formulated his plan for getting revenge on his owner. Rats are wily at the best of times, but a rat dressed as a bee is downright vengeful.
Ok this guy is great. Anyone who has guinea pigs (and are so inclined) knows that they are the best animals to put little clothes and little hats on. This great effort has gone even further, because it’s the little glasses that really tie the whole look together, and elevate this guinea pig to looking like some kind of well-read guinea-bee librarian.
But for every superb guinea pig dressed as a bee, there are about six depressed dogs dressed as bees. This poor little guy looks like he has given up all hope of revenge on his owner, and is simply crying out for help through those sad and dejected eyes.